Easy Grape cuttings start.

Helpful guides to growing your own food.
Ironman
Bear

Easy Grape cuttings start.

Postby Ironman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:19 pm

On-Site Rooting of Cuttings

This is a shortcut method of rooting grape cuttings that several people have tried with enough success to make it worth posting here. Cuttings are rooted right in the place where the vines are to grow.

Note 1. Time of year. This method is done after all danger of frost is past and the weather is consistently warm.

Note 2. Site preparation. Till the soil at the site where the vines are to grow and clean off weeds.

1. Step one. For each vine, put down a sheet of clear plastic mulch, 2 feet (1.25 Meter) by 2 feet (1.25 Meter) and secure the edges either by burying them. This is done a week before planting. Or use a continuous strip if you are planting a row.

2. After a week, prepare the cuttings with an application of Dip 'N' Grow rooting hormone, diluted to the strength listed for "easy to root" plants.

3. Push the cuttings through the plastic film at least half way into the soil.

4. Within one to four weeks the cuttings should root and begin to push buds. It may take longer if the weather is cool. When shoots are at least six inches tall, the vines can be watered and fertilized with something mild like fish fertilizer, and then again on a regular basis after that.

5. Train the shoots as they grow and with good care the vine should grow at least enough to produce a trunk by the end of the season. The plastic may be removed once the vines are at least a foot tall, and organic mulch put down in place of it. If you leave the plastic, be sure to remove it by the end of the season.

In this method, the clear plastic allows sunlight through to the soil,where its energy is converted to heat. The plastic traps the heat,warming the soil enough to help the cuttings form callus and roots. If the cuttings are planted where the mature vines are to be located, the new shoots can be trained up a support stake as they grow, so that the new vine may get big enough to bear a smalll crop the next season. The success of this method will vary with climate, soil, and grape variety.

CharlesV

Re: Easy Grape cuttings start.

Postby CharlesV » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:32 pm

I started some Fox grape cuttings along with some Muscadines a few years back. I just buried them and covered them with maple and oak leaves. They are bearing fairly well. Next on my list is elderberries. Love me some elderberry wine.
"There is good and bad in the universe and we should adapt to all situations." - Tatsuo Shimabuku, founder Isshinryu Karate

Ironman
Bear

Re: Easy Grape cuttings start.

Postby Ironman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Howdy sir,

Thanks for the post! let me know when/if you have some cuttings available please!
Thank you,

Ironman
http://www.cw-fc.com/karate
沖縄少林流松村正統粋拳武芸会テネシー州支部

Return to “Growing Guides”