Okinawan Soki Soba

Recipe Forum
Chikara
Site Admin

Okinawan Soki Soba

Postby Chikara » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:59 pm

Okinawan Soki Soba or Spare Rib Noodle soup
Note: Okinawan soba is a wider, flatter noodle than Japanese soba. Dried soba prepared according to package directions can be substituted for fresh. Also I have found that the large Japanese Udon noodles work as well. In case of neither fettuccini noodles will work.
Stock:
2 ½ pounds pork spare ribs
3 quarts water
1-1/2 cups bonito flakes
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Rib Glaze:
2 ½ Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp stock
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 ½ Tbsp awamori (Okinawan distilled whiskey) or any sake works
1 ½ Tbsp mirin
Garnish:
1/3 package kamaboko (fish cake), in 8 thin slices. (You can add it raw or steam it or add it to the stock for a few minutes).
1 or 2 stalks green onions.

To make the stock:
Start by removing excess fat, cover the pork spare ribs with boiling water, drain and rinse. Add 3 ½ quarts fresh water to spare ribs and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Skim off the foam and simmer another 60 to 90 minutes.
Remove spare ribs and set aside.
*To remove the fat, strain the stock through a cheese cloth or a use fine mesh screen dipper to scoop it out.
Add 1 ½ cups of bonito flakes to the stock and boil for 2 minutes. Strain; discard flakes.
Add 1 ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp of soy sauce and let simmer.
• At this point I like to cut the Kamaboko and add it the stock to soften it up for a few minutes. Kamaboko is very rubbery otherwise.
To season the ribs:
2 ½ Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp stock
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 ½ Tbsp awamori (Okinawan distilled whiskey) or any sake works
1 ½ Tbsp mirin

Combine seasoning ingredients in a skillet and bring to a boil. Add the pork ribs from the stock pot, turning occasionally until well-glazed.
Prepare your noodles according to the directions of the type you are using.
Garnish with the spare ribs, kamaboko (steamed fish cake) and onions with a pinch of slivered pickled ginger.
Serves 5 or 6.
Last edited by Chikara on Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chikara

kaamii
Bear

Soba

Postby kaamii » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:49 pm

That recipe is very good;that I can attest to. :D

kaamii
Bear

Daikon

Postby kaamii » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:58 am

How is the daikon prepared for the Soki Soba? when in the whole process do you start preparing it? Thanks.

Chikara
Site Admin

Postby Chikara » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:02 am

When the soup stock is finished use it to cook the Raikon and cook them for about an hour or until the center is soft. I usually double up the amount of soup stock just to use half of it to cook the raikon in. I also add an extra teaspoon of soy sauce to it. Then after they are done I mixed the two stocks together.
Chikara

Return to “Recipes”